Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Love This Piece of Architecture

This piece of architecture is great!  It was built by Curtis W. King in 1970, and is so fun and unexpected.  The entrance staircase raises and lowers electronically, so that the owner can deny access for security and get the feeling of living in a real flying saucer.  The thing I love most about this house is where it is located.  It was built on the side of Signal Mountain, Tennessee.  Affluent people in neat, proper, traditional homes are the majority of the residents on the mountain, and the Saucer House fits in so awfully in this setting that it is perfect!  My grandparents live on Signal Mountain, and throughout my childhood we made the long weekend drive from Florida to visit them.  Driving past the Saucer House was always the part of the drive I looked forward to the most.  It adds a quirky element to a place I otherwise view as dull, and is a valuable piece of architecture to myself and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment